All of us that have owned an RV for some time, or even if you are looking at RV's, will find that the industry's taste in color is basically earth tones. Well, why not? You will be out in the woods camping with trees and campfires - drab brown should be the order of the day….
Not for us! We have owned our RV for just over 5 years and have been wanting to make some changes to the window treatments. Time was not on our side and we could not decide on the exact color. I wanted turquoise, she says "shades of blue".
This is the year to make a bold statement in our color choices and bring a little bit of us into the environment that we spend so much of our time in. My wife is a quilter so it was a natural choice to see something "quilty" in our space. I am not into the traditional quilt style of blocks and flying geese. I like stuff that is more on the edge of modern or contemporary but we are both of eclectic design style so this fits us.
First we agreed on the curtains, they are a white sheer with a tree branch burn out from Bed Bath and Beyond and then a turquoise blue for the background from the At Home store. We knew that they would have to be resized, cut and re-hemmed.
We had to be careful as to how we used the halves as one has the rod casing and the other has the bottom hem and they are not the exact same size.
The white panels also have a directional pattern so we wanted to keep like top half and bottom half on the same windows.
The hard part was picking out the fabrics for the valances/cornices. We finally chose a Fat Quarter bundle with 10 fabrics of Sandscapes and added 6 more pieces of Sandscapes and Stonehenge, both lines by Northcott fabrics.
All together we had 16 different tones and colors from deep dark to light blue, teal, turquoise and some purple. The fabrics are then cut into same size squares, these squares are stacked and cut into different geometrics designs - "Stack and Whack".
The pieces are rearranged and stitched to make a block that will be a bit smaller and gives a stained glass effect.
These blocks are then laid out to make sure that those that will touch each other are of different color or shape and then sewn together to make a long strip that is wide enough to cover the front and the length of the valance.
We chose a light brown material to sew onto the top and bottom of the row of blocks. The strips are wide enough to cover the top and wrap around the edges of the box so it can be stapled on.
Once the cover was ready, I removed the valance from the wall and removed some of the extra covering, leaving only one layer of the original fabric with padding underneath.
I wrapped the cover along the bottom so the seam is just inside and staple in place. Wrap the sides and then the back, it’s a bit tricky to get the corners but with a little arranging of the fabric it can be done.
How the valances are mounted may be different for each RV. Ours are mounted to the bottom of storage cabinets and we have shades that are mounted in them so they may be heavy to re-mount.
We had originally wanted to remove the valance boxes completely, until we discovered that the roller shades are mounted onto the boxes. That's how we came up with the plan to re-cover the boxes.
The result was beyond what I had imagined in my brain as we came up with the idea. It has been a lot of work, especially on my wife, Laura, coming up with the block design and doing all the cutting and sewing, but I am beyond pleased with the outcome.
If you want to know more details about us follow ByLauraMcFall on facebook or @ByLauraMcFall on Instagram, you can also follow @FlamingoMoonCampers on Instagram.